The 80th Anniversary of The Garden Club of Stuart, Inc. was recently celebrated at its Annual Spring Luncheon held at Dockside Pavilion at Indian RiverSide Park. This location is significant to the history of the Garden Club as this was the property of its first President, Mrs. Anne Bates Leach. Many garden club meetings and socials were hosted at the Mansion at Tuckahoe, now a historical site. Club members toured the Mansion following the luncheon.
With 130 members and guests in attendance, noted Stuart historian and keynote speaker Sandra Thurlow presented an overview of the historical birth and growth of The Garden Club of Stuart. A mural and table display traced the Garden Club’s growth from 1937 to the present. Table centerpieces featured floral arrangements with photos and articles about the Club’s 80 years of community service.
The Garden Club of Stuart is proud of many annual accomplishments: Two $1,500 scholarships were recently awarded to graduating high school seniors, as well as presentation of a $300 Outstanding Youth Award. Ten $200 camperships to FFGC’s Camp Wekiva for this summer were provided. The Garden Club of Stuart provides Butterfly Garden Certification, programs for Arbor Day & Earth Day, maintenance of Treasure Coast Hospice Butterfly Gardens, Possum Long Garden, and projects at the House of Refuge, as well as continuing education for its members.